Hiring Employees/question about a company's first salary offer

Question
Hi Jim,

I have been reading books about salary negotiation and they all say that large companies always throw out a low offer when offering a salary, expecting the candidate to negotiate.

Most people do not negotiate, and therefore the company is happy that it gets to pay the candidates less than it was willing to.

Is this true?  Do all companies give low salary offers, whether it's for entry-level positions, mid-level, or executive level?  These negotiation books make it seem as if this is 100% true.  I would be curious to know this so I can be armed for my next salary negotiation when I change companies.

Answer
Mike:
Over the years there have been many truisms created.  i.e.  Always and never should never be used.  Dont assume and my personal favorite K.I.S.S.
The real answer here is that every company/recruiter does it their way.
My advice is simple.  Separate yourself emotionally from the equation. Does the number make sense, is it more than current comp etc.  If it doesnt meet the critera, by all means push a bit.
If the package i.e. benes, relo incentive dont meet current standards, by all means push back a bit.
By the time an offer is extended, you should already "KNOW" whether you want to do this.  That is the most important step in making the join up decision.  If its all about the money, the job probably aint right. Make no mistake, $ are important but if the most important factor, keep looking.(if you have the option)
Hope this helps.
Jim

Hiring Employees

Jim Dromsky