Hiring Employees/Hiring Help

Question
Hello:

I am writing about finding , hiring and retaining long term employees for a Flower Shop type retail business.

I currently own a small retail flower shop. I would appreciate your suggestions as what would be the best way I could find qualified help that I can retail for the long term.

Can you please suggest what groups that I can network with and can find good individuals who will look the position for long term.

Issue is employees come but due to level of pay $10-$12.00 hourly working in a fun atmosphere however generally they have school or other things where can not dedicate seriousness required for the long term.

Please let me know where would be the best way for me to find mature responsible help that will stick around.

Thank you for your time and help.

Kindest regards,
Anthony

Answer
Anthony
I dont know how long you have had your business but if it has been years, then you already know there is NOT a hard and fast answer to the problem.  The things you Can do is to determine the top 5(arbitrary number) things that successful employees have had in common and use those as hiring criteria. Beyond that, realize that retail for most is a pass thru job. If the folks you hire had the seriousness you refer to, they would create their own business like you. Having said that every once in a while,you get lucky.
I would be happy to discuss your situation and perhaps there are some specifics that are no appropriate for this venue.
Please follow up and we can make arrangements for a telcon.
Thanks
Jim

Hiring Employees

Jim Dromsky