Historical/War Reenactment/USS Missouri Jap surrender photo

Allen Shirley wrote at 2013-06-14 17:22:29
As a personal collector of WWII items, several years ago I was able to purchase a group of 6 ship's newspapers printed by the crew of the U.S.S. Missouri. These newspapers (called "The Missourian")are approximately 6"x8" in size and were published on the ship with photos of crew activities, comics, and pictures of the personnel on board the Missouri. The dates on the ship's newspapers are all from 1945 with the following dates included: Jan. 6th, Jan, 20, Mar. 3, Apr. 7, May 26, Oct. 27. the last newspaper is significant for two reasons.  First is a photo and story of then Senator Harry Truman's photo and story at her commissioning ceremonies as well as the story about Truman's nephew who was a seaman on board the ship.  Finally, the most significant item is a two page center spread showing all of the pictures taken by the crew of the surrender ceremonies!  I am certain that these ship's newspapers are quite rare as I did not know that they even existed.  Have you ever heard or seen anything like these?

Historical/War Reenactment

Jack Pickup Jr.

I am currently a reenactor of the American Civil War. I have been involved with other reenactments from many periods including Roman, the Middle Ages/Renaissance, and World War II. I am quite well versed in all aspects of military history from the Ancient Period all the way up to World War II, especially regarding Military Engineering up to the period of the American Civil War. I was a history teacher at the high school and junior high school level.

I have a degree in History. I have studied and traveled extensively both within the United States and overseas. I currently do presentations for local schools and teacher certification programs. As a reenactor I am Chief of Staff for the 1st Confederate Brigade in Illinois. I have been reenacting for almost two decades.

Confederate Corps of Engineers, unit commander First Confederate Brigade of Illinois, chief engineer, chief of staff MHEA, Military History Education Association

Reenactor Magazine, Various articles

Bachelors degree in History and Education from Elmhurst College in Illinois.