History of Science and Technology/Evolution of Lectern

Hi i need your help, can please inform me on the evolution/timeline of 'The Lectern'?

Hi John--thanks for writing.  I'm sorry, I don't know anything about the history of the lectern, and can't honestly think of a good place for you to start.  If I had to guess, it's a piece of furniture that is unlikely to be older than the widespread use of the codex book, and which might possibly have first appeared in monastic settings, for monks to write as well as read books (to other monks during meals), but that's just a wild guess.

History of Science and Technology

Carolyn Dougherty

I can probably answer most general questions about the history of science, technology and engineering from ancient to current; if I don't know a specific answer I can probably refer a questioner to an appropriate source. I have done original research in the history of computing and in British science and engineering in the 17th, 18th and early 19th centuries.

I am a PhD student at the University of York, writing about the carrying trade in the 18th century; my previous work at the university includes the early history of plate railways. I have taught courses in the history of science and engineering at York and other universities, and have presented several papers on various subjects in this field at academic conferences. I am also a practicing civil engineer.

BA--Berkeley, MSc--Berkeley, MA--York, currently working on a PhD at York.