History of Science and Technology/London Underground

Hello Carolyn.
What was the price of a ticket on the opening day of the London Underground 150 years ago this month.

Hi Mark--I'm sorry, I don't know!  I've had a quick look in a few books and online, but all I can see is that the cheapest return fare on the Metropolitan Railway was reduced to 3d (from what, it doesn't say) a few years later.  You might try asking the London Transport Museum.

History of Science and Technology

Carolyn Dougherty

I can probably answer most general questions about the history of science, technology and engineering from ancient to current; if I don't know a specific answer I can probably refer a questioner to an appropriate source. I have done original research in the history of computing and in British science and engineering in the 17th, 18th and early 19th centuries.

I am a PhD student at the University of York, writing about the carrying trade in the 18th century; my previous work at the university includes the early history of plate railways. I have taught courses in the history of science and engineering at York and other universities, and have presented several papers on various subjects in this field at academic conferences. I am also a practicing civil engineer.

BA--Berkeley, MSc--Berkeley, MA--York, currently working on a PhD at York.