QUESTION: It seems the announcers use a lot of terms that I can't find any references to in the rules for hockey. Various types of "checks" and references to positions on the ice, etc. Do you know where I can learn the jargon hockey people use?

ANSWER: James,

Thanks for writing.  Yea, some of that stuff they rattle off just drives me crazy some times. However, I found a great book I bought several years ago, that I no longer have.  Is called The Hockey A to Z and you can find it here:

Hope this helps
Rob Lopez - Commissioner
University Ice Hockey League - Mexico

QUESTION: Any other references that wouldn't require a buy a book just to understand tge jargon?

Sure, but that would take some research on your part.  Not to mention all of the jargon out there and what specifically are you looking for?  All you would ever like to know is in that book.  I think it's a couple of bucks.  It's a good investment and fun to read....if you are in to that sort of thing.

Sorry I could be of any more help.  Good luck.

Rob Lopez

I can answer all questions about ice hockey from Mites level to College. I have 15 years as a Goalie Coach, 5 years as an assistant coach, 6 years as a hockey director, and 9 years as a General Manager

I have been in the industry now for over 35 years and I have developed youth and adult programs from Canada to Mexico. Plus, I design 100's of free practice drills for 1000's of coaches worldwide in 41 different countries.

USA Hockey Pass the Puck, Inc.

HF forum International Hockey Forum Pass the Puck Blog

I have a level 5 coaching certification with USA Hockey and a level 3 instructor certification.

Level 5 USA Hockey Coaching Certification

Currently I have 3000 coaches from 41 different countries that are register with my web site.