Hockey/more detailed stick sizing info

was looking to see of you guys could help for more in depth answers to my sons certain size and weight

He’s 12, 5’ and about 100lbs….he had a Warrior Vandal 70 flex Intermediate that we cut down that made it around an 80-85 flex, which is too stiff for him at this point, and is a little too small now also…so putting an extension plug into it could be a possibility but it really wouldn’t bring back that much more flex….so on to a new stick…he got a hand me down from my brother in law…..but its wayyy too much stiff being a senior stick cut down, so it’s like using a 2x4 at this point for him, probably like 100-120

He wants more flex, but would he go with a 50 flex Junior stick? Or is that just too small and too soft for him to begin with? (He tends to like it around his mouth)….OR, do we go with a 55-60, maybe 65 flex Intermediate depending on the Brand……we will probably have to cut it down which would make it a 65-70 flex…..he has grown since we got the Vandal also

Thank you for the questions Derek!  It's great that parents and their children talk about the game etc.

In my learned opinion - I would say you are "overthinking" this stick thing.  At 12 years old 99% of the focus should be on skill building with the use of ANY equipment!  Skating - properly fitted but NEW is NOT necessary, shooting with ANY stick --  the more one can adapt to whatever he is given and can LEARN to do it at this age - the BETTER he will be!  Passing and stick handling ... with any stick and any for of puck, ball or any artifact!  

The best puck handlers are those who grew up playing with tennis balls, golf balls and even frozen pasture cookies!! LOL!

Get a "good" stick...  and ADAPT would be my best advice for the long haul!

Make sense?

good luck with the puck...

I have been playing amateur hockey for 48 years... from Youth hockey up to Jr. "B", and now still play in adult leagues. I have coached youth hockey for 10+ years and have been an "active student" of all aspects of learning, playing and coaching hockey for past 8 years. I offer not only some X`s & O`s about hockey but also some experience in practical, philosophical, spiritual and motivational aspects of playing and learning the game. My son is now 26 - just done with his carreer through College. He went through all the hurdles to get to Juniors and played there for 3 years, then College for 4. I am happy to share our experience during that journey.

Now in my 49th year involved with this awesome ever evolving sport! I am USA Hockey Certified as Intermediate Level Coach. I have a BA degree in Psychology with minor in business (Brock University), as well as a LLB (law degree) from Ottawa University. I have owned and operated my family business for 30+ years now. I have co-parented 3 great kids!

Social Studies Diploma CEGEP - Marianopolis College, Montreal Quebec BA - Psychology, Minor in Business - Brock University Law Degree - Ottawa University