Hockey/Can a mite play on a squirt team?

scott wrote at 2013-10-18 13:00:09
My son is having the same problem this year. Our league president said he could evaluate with the squirts and if he scored in the top 5 that he would move him up. Well...he scored 19 out of 47 squirts. And the league is not going to move him up. I know 19 might not sound that good however, the evaluations were all about speed from red line to red line. Forward, backward, forward/backward, and cone drill across ice with a puck. With his size the bigger kids have and advantage with speed but, if it were turns he would beat them. We practiced with the squirts twice this season and he was easily top 5 with all the stations.

I don't want to go through another year of mites. He is well beyond that. I don't know what to do other than try another program. Let me know how your situation worked out.  

Rob Lopez

I can answer all questions about ice hockey from Mites level to College. I have 15 years as a Goalie Coach, 5 years as an assistant coach, 6 years as a hockey director, and 9 years as a General Manager

I have been in the industry now for over 35 years and I have developed youth and adult programs from Canada to Mexico. Plus, I design 100's of free practice drills for 1000's of coaches worldwide in 41 different countries.

USA Hockey Pass the Puck, Inc.

HF forum International Hockey Forum Pass the Puck Blog

I have a level 5 coaching certification with USA Hockey and a level 3 instructor certification.

Level 5 USA Hockey Coaching Certification

Currently I have 3000 coaches from 41 different countries that are register with my web site.