Hockey/Lie on the hockey stick 4,5,6 or ?

My grandson is 12 and we are looking at sticks. Most of his sticks have been a 4 or 5 lie. The one we are looking at is a 6 in the intermediate size apx left hander. How do we tell if there is a problem with the lie before actually useing the stick?

Thank you for writing.  This is a really great question.  Here's how you can find the correct lie for him.  When you go to the proshop to check out sticks, have him take his skates or try a new pair on while you are there.  Then, place the stick in his hand and have him get into a hockey stance with he feet shoulder width apart, knees bent.  Then see where the blade lies on the ground. keep adjusting the lie until the blade's bottom edge is completely on the ground.

That should do the trick!
Rob Lopez - Commissioner
University Ice Hockey League - Mexico

Rob Lopez

I can answer all questions about ice hockey from Mites level to College. I have 15 years as a Goalie Coach, 5 years as an assistant coach, 6 years as a hockey director, and 9 years as a General Manager

I have been in the industry now for over 35 years and I have developed youth and adult programs from Canada to Mexico. Plus, I design 100's of free practice drills for 1000's of coaches worldwide in 41 different countries.

USA Hockey Pass the Puck, Inc.

HF forum International Hockey Forum Pass the Puck Blog

I have a level 5 coaching certification with USA Hockey and a level 3 instructor certification.

Level 5 USA Hockey Coaching Certification

Currently I have 3000 coaches from 41 different countries that are register with my web site.