Hockey/Shin Guards

QUESTION: I have a son who is all legs. His 13" shin guards are about 1 - 1.5" above his skates but 14" adult shin guards are way to big. He is only 13 and weighs about 80 pounds.

what can I do for this

Thank you for writing.  If you look at his skates, follow up the lace holes with laces to the top where the edge starts to turn towards the back of the skate, then it starts back up for an Achilles Tendon protector.

Well, once you start moving up from the lace holes and the edge starts to move back to the back end, that top edge should be your marker for his shin pad. 1/2 up from that top edge is best.  This will give him the freedom to move his ankle to point his toe while power skating.

If the shin pad over laps this top edge, it might interfere with ankle performance. But, experience has taught me that the puck will find any open as long as there is an opening...always!

Now, I recommend that the gap between the top edge of the boot and the bottom edge of the shin pad, not have a gap more then 3/4 of an inch.  Puck is 1 inch, so having a 3/4 gap is okay.

I would recommend checking out that 14" shin pad to see at what point it meets the top of his boot. Plus, I recommend that he uses just enough tape outside of his socks to hold the shin pad in place. Plus, DO NOT cinch up the straps on the shin pads too tight because it cut off blood circulation for the legs and then he will feel tired and run down.

Hope this helps.
Rob Lopez - Commissioner
University Ice Hockey League - Mexico

QUESTION: Thank you for the answer.

But also sorry, I should have been more specific. The length of the 14" shin guards are the correct length. Unfortunately the adult 14" shin guards are too wide for his leg. Even with tape, extra elastic straps, etc. they are not tight enough to stay in place. They actually rotate around his very thin legs.

What he really needs is a shin guard that is made as thin as the 13" but as long as the 14". Is there any manufacturer that makes a 14" youth shin guard?

Thanks for your help.

Sorry for the delay.  I just noticed you had a follow-up question.  You know, Don Cherry of Hockey Night in Canada talked about this about 10 years ago, and in that show, he said that they would use cotton to fill up the space.  But it looked like cotton you would find in an aspirin bottle. Hum...go figure!

Sorry, but you got me on this one.  I wish I had some contact in the equipment manufacturing area, but I do not.  If I come across something, I will let you know.

Sorry again for the late delayed response.

Rob Lopez

I can answer all questions about ice hockey from Mites level to College. I have 15 years as a Goalie Coach, 5 years as an assistant coach, 6 years as a hockey director, and 9 years as a General Manager

I have been in the industry now for over 35 years and I have developed youth and adult programs from Canada to Mexico. Plus, I design 100's of free practice drills for 1000's of coaches worldwide in 41 different countries.

USA Hockey Pass the Puck, Inc.

HF forum International Hockey Forum Pass the Puck Blog

I have a level 5 coaching certification with USA Hockey and a level 3 instructor certification.

Level 5 USA Hockey Coaching Certification

Currently I have 3000 coaches from 41 different countries that are register with my web site.