Hockey/Extra players in net

30 seconds left in game and you have a one goal lead. The opponent has 6 attackers. Setting aside unwritten rules of honour, is it LEGAL  for you to put ALL your players into the net. 5 players plus a goalie would surely pack the net to the  point where there would be no chance for the puck to go in.

Thanks for writing and sorry for responding so late.  I been talking this question over with several colleagues and we all agree that there is no rule saying that you can't place your players in the net to protect during a 6 on 5 situation.  

However, having said that, the odd are in your favor if you don't.  Allowing your players to play their position, give you better odds and intercepting the puck for an open net goal.  Plus, the odds are in your favor when it comes to getting the puck out of the defending zone.

Where as, if you allow all your players in the net at one time, it would allow the attacking team to over load the net with unnecessary shot on net.  Plus, any player holding the puck in the crease could award you a goal against you if the play hold the puck with his hands or body while being in the crease.  Now with all those players within the net can increase the chance of one of them holding the puck.

I can't tell you how many empty goals I have seen when teams have pulled the goalie.  In order to over come the extra attacker, I recommend you set up in a star pattern instead of a box pattern one would do on a 4 on 5 situation.

Have the players hold this star pattern and ice the pucks that enter the pattern or ice the pucks that rebound off the goalie. Lobbing the puck over the attacking players will help from have the attacking team holding the puck within the attacking zone.

Hope this helps!
Rob Lopez - Commissioner
University Ice Hockey League - Mexico  

Rob Lopez

I can answer all questions about ice hockey from Mites level to College. I have 15 years as a Goalie Coach, 5 years as an assistant coach, 6 years as a hockey director, and 9 years as a General Manager

I have been in the industry now for over 35 years and I have developed youth and adult programs from Canada to Mexico. Plus, I design 100's of free practice drills for 1000's of coaches worldwide in 41 different countries.

USA Hockey Pass the Puck, Inc.

HF forum International Hockey Forum Pass the Puck Blog

I have a level 5 coaching certification with USA Hockey and a level 3 instructor certification.

Level 5 USA Hockey Coaching Certification

Currently I have 3000 coaches from 41 different countries that are register with my web site.