Date and player who scored first goal at the Bell Center ?

Thanks for writing.  The Bell Centre (French: Centre Bell), formerly known as the Molson Centre or Le Centre Molson which opened March 16, 1996.

The name of the arena initially reflected Molson, Inc., a brewing company which was owner of the Canadiens at the time. Molson elected not to keep the naming rights when they sold the team and the name was changed in February 1, 2002, after Bell Canada acquired the naming rights.

The first goal scored in the Molson Centre was In the inaugural game, Montreal defeated the Rangers 42, with the first goal scored by Vincent Damphousse.

However, that was when the arena was named the Molson Centre.  After the name was changed to the Bell Centre which officially changes in February of 2002.

But there are two conflicting dates for the name change.  One is September 1st 2002 and February 2002.  Plus, there was also a Junior team located in the building that also played at the same time as the Canadiens.

So, I am going to do a little research and get back with you with a couple of days.  I might says that you got me on this one, but I haven't thrown in the towel yet!  Give me a couple of days to get back with you.

Rob Lopez - Commissioner
University Ice Hockey League - Mexico

Rob Lopez

I can answer all questions about ice hockey from Mites level to College. I have 15 years as a Goalie Coach, 5 years as an assistant coach, 6 years as a hockey director, and 9 years as a General Manager

I have been in the industry now for over 35 years and I have developed youth and adult programs from Canada to Mexico. Plus, I design 100's of free practice drills for 1000's of coaches worldwide in 41 different countries.

USA Hockey Pass the Puck, Inc.

HF forum International Hockey Forum Pass the Puck Blog

I have a level 5 coaching certification with USA Hockey and a level 3 instructor certification.

Level 5 USA Hockey Coaching Certification

Currently I have 3000 coaches from 41 different countries that are register with my web site.