Hockey/hockey game records

This concerns the game records.

I'll use hypothetical numbers

a team has a record of 5-2-1

#5 means wins
#2 means losses
What does #1 mean. I ask because there's no games played today that end in an even score.
Sorry if this a stupid question

Not stupid --  it's a very good one....

Some leagues will do stats differently ...

So if there was no actual TIE - which normally that would be the number to represent that -- it could then be either Overtime WIN or Overtime Loss...  depending on the "statistician"!

Make sense?

Hope this helps!

Thank you!

I have been playing amateur hockey for 48 years... from Youth hockey up to Jr. "B", and now still play in adult leagues. I have coached youth hockey for 10+ years and have been an "active student" of all aspects of learning, playing and coaching hockey for past 8 years. I offer not only some X`s & O`s about hockey but also some experience in practical, philosophical, spiritual and motivational aspects of playing and learning the game. My son is now 26 - just done with his carreer through College. He went through all the hurdles to get to Juniors and played there for 3 years, then College for 4. I am happy to share our experience during that journey.

Now in my 49th year involved with this awesome ever evolving sport! I am USA Hockey Certified as Intermediate Level Coach. I have a BA degree in Psychology with minor in business (Brock University), as well as a LLB (law degree) from Ottawa University. I have owned and operated my family business for 30+ years now. I have co-parented 3 great kids!

Social Studies Diploma CEGEP - Marianopolis College, Montreal Quebec BA - Psychology, Minor in Business - Brock University Law Degree - Ottawa University