I am a some time coach, rec player, with an interest in all sports and physical training. For hockey players and 'speed' atheletes in particular, especially those that need to drop the pounds, what is the current diet advice?
For the general public, low carb still seems to be in. I have tried it without much success. Low energy, indigestion, etc. I have gone back to the old low fat diet, and I am starting to see results. All the high level hockey, soccer players, runners, etc I ever knew shunned fat, except for a bit of 'good' fat, and loaded up on carbs and fruits and vegetables. I find that as long as you count grams of fat, you can eat a ton of carbs and have a ton of energy. Thanks for your thoughts!

Hi Bud
I recommend using and log your food and watch your caloric intake. By increasing your cardio, you "gain" calories back in a sense in that you can eat a little bit more. The goal is to not eat back all your gained calories of course. Good luck.

Dina Solimini

I can answer goaltending questions including: equipment, rules, positioning, psychology, drills, fitness, recruiting, etc. I can answer questions about American college hockey (especially Women's), Youth, and High School (especially East Coast/ New England area). I can answer some nostalgia questions for example: what was it like to play in all leather equipment? What was it like to skate in rinks that had chain link fencing instead of glass? I cannot answer specific statistics questions including College and Pro hockey.

I grew up in New England and played goalie in the Youth Hockey program (including a Metro Team) from Mite AA through Midgets (pretty much the only girl in the programs). I played on my High School Boy’s team all four years. I played 1 season at Boston College as a starter and finished the last 3 seasons as a starter at the University of New Hampshire. In my senior season we won the longest game in college history. We beat Providence 3-2 in 5 overtimes! I also played with Team USA at different times in my career. I was also a 1998 Team USA Winter Olympic hopeful. For the last 5 seasons I have coached several organizations as the goalie coach and second assistant coach. These levels include: Youth Hockey boys and girls and High School boys and girls.

Youth Hockey, MA

BA and MS ;USA Hockey Level 3 Coach

1998 Winter Olympic Hopeful 1996 ECAC Champion 1996 UNH Female Athlete of the Year Nominee 1995, 1996 ECAC All- Tournament Goalie 1993-1996 Holder of several UNH goaltending records 1995 Member, Women's USA Select Team 1991 Teen Magazine Sports Girl of the Year Finalist 1990-1991 US Women's Training Team

Current: Youth Hockey, MA Past: High School, MA, Rochester Youth Hockey, Rochester, NH, RinkSport, Inc., Quistgard Goaltending.