Home Business/Errand Service

I am unemployed and I would like to start an errand service for the elderly and disabled people.  I do not have the funds to purchase a portable credit card terminal so, for now I would have to accept cash. I would like to collect the fee for my service and the amount owed for services/products that they needed(groceries, dry cleaning, etc.)when I return. However, I don't know many people who have that much cash in their home, especially the elderly. My question is, do you have any ideas of how I can receive what is owed to me in a way that I don't get cheated?

Thank You,

Hello, this is a difficult one because you also have to make sure you are not accused of taking advantage of vulnerable people as well. I think that if you undertake a regular service that your customers will be aware of your charges. You will get to know them as well so thT you can accept money at the end of the errand which would be more comfortable for your customers.

Look at working on a regular basis, say 2hours per week running errands and maybe helping out at home. Even basic things like changing lights is difficult for many. I am sure if you worked in this way you will soon get lots of customers who will happy to pay a reasonable amount of cash each week.

So work out what you are happy to do for say1,2,3 hours per week, set a reasonable rate, say $10-15 an hour and look for customers.  A simple brochure will help. You will also need insurance and check if you need a licence. Do not forget your taxes, so keep good records.

It is a wonderful idea, cash will be fine if you are reasonable. Good luck.

Home Business

Lee Lister

Business, Small Business, Home Business, Internet Business, Entrepreneurship, Business Planning, Business Start-up, Business Strategy, Setting up a new business. If you are a serious entrepreneur and want to set up your own business or ensure that your existing business is more profitable then let me assist you. I answer questions on business start up, business strategy, business models, business planning, marketing plans, marketing strategy, branding, business tune ups and business improvement. I do not answer any legal, tax or accountancy questions - you should see your own professional adviser about these. If you can't be bothered to read and rate my answers - I can't be bothered to answer them! If you have a small internet based company, I would welcome your help in completing a survey and helping me with my Masters Dissertation. I am researching how a small company can build its brand and grow quickly using social media marketing. The survey takes 4 minutes and all information is confidential and will NEVER be used for marketing purposes. Thank you in advance. The link to the survey is below:

Over 20 year’s management, IT and business consultancy experience with businesses large and small as well as being a serial entrepreneur.

I am already an expert in several categories.

I am a prolific writer and published author, I write on entrepreneurship, project, bid management and career improvement. Just "google" me!

BA (Hons) Economics MSc Marketing Management , studying for DBA. Numerous business qualifications.