Home Business/Business Name

Hi Lee,

I am starting a small business operating from home mixing and selling sprays for horses.  There are three sprays, one of each to treat rain scald, itching and flys.  I need to come up with a business name.  I will be selling the sprays online and also face to face in my local community.  I have names for each of the sprays, Scaldaway, Flyaway and Itchaway.  As I have been selling the products for a few years under those names I would like to keep them as is.  Are you able to help?

What you have is three very good product names . However your market is presumably horse owners and you want to attract this  market. Many people now look for new product information using search engines or social media so you must have a we site and Facebook page as a minimum, this constrains your company name.  Here is how to get some ideas.

1) think of how you would search for your kind of products, the search terms you would use and list about 4-5 popular words, equine and horse being two of them.

2) hop over to and do a search on the last 30 days using one or more of these words. This will give you an idea of what domains are available for you. A look on Godaddy will  show you if domain still available.

3)lastly look on Facebook and Twitter to see what page names are available.

4) once you have some ideas then check that the company name is available.

This route will give you some great ideas. Just make sure the name is descriptive, not too long or restrictive and cannot be misconstrued as something rude or too close to a competitor's name.

Good luck with your business.

Home Business

Lee Lister

Business, Small Business, Home Business, Internet Business, Entrepreneurship, Business Planning, Business Start-up, Business Strategy, Setting up a new business. If you are a serious entrepreneur and want to set up your own business or ensure that your existing business is more profitable then let me assist you. I answer questions on business start up, business strategy, business models, business planning, marketing plans, marketing strategy, branding, business tune ups and business improvement. I do not answer any legal, tax or accountancy questions - you should see your own professional adviser about these. If you can't be bothered to read and rate my answers - I can't be bothered to answer them! If you have a small internet based company, I would welcome your help in completing a survey and helping me with my Masters Dissertation. I am researching how a small company can build its brand and grow quickly using social media marketing. The survey takes 4 minutes and all information is confidential and will NEVER be used for marketing purposes. Thank you in advance. The link to the survey is below:

Over 20 year’s management, IT and business consultancy experience with businesses large and small as well as being a serial entrepreneur.

I am already an expert in several categories.

I am a prolific writer and published author, I write on entrepreneurship, project, bid management and career improvement. Just "google" me!

BA (Hons) Economics MSc Marketing Management , studying for DBA. Numerous business qualifications.