Home Cooking/Rice

Hi Diane,
How can I make rice pilaf at home, taste like store bought?
Thank you,

Hi Randy - Rice pilaf in the store usually has MSG (monosodium glutamate) which gives it a really salty, meaty taste.  You don't want to use that as it's been proven to cause a whole raft of issues including headaches.  To better flavor your rice pilaf at home try making some really good chickent stock from scratch - use necks and wings; add onion, carrot, celery and a couple tablespoons of pickling seasoning, teaspoon of pepper and a tablespoon of salt. If you don't have pickling seasoning use a pinch of allspice, cinnamon, a few bay leaves, a tablespoon of mustard seed. Simmer the stock mix all day - or over night.  Strain it and chill it - then remove fat.  IF it is really thin, simmer again until it thickens.  It's not unusual to take a couple days to get a good stock.

When you cook the pilaf, start with a couple tablespoons of butter in the bottom of a hot pan - saute the rice and pasta in the butter until nice and toasted.  Add whatever seasonings you want at that time.  Dried veggies are good - salt, pepper.  Then add really hot stock to the hot rice so it jumps in the pan.  Stir it and put the lid on - turn heat down to a minimum so it just barely simmers and don't touch it for 20 min or until your rice is done.

You can play with the seasonings - but generally you need a lot of salty flavor....so garlic salt, celery salt are both good depending on what you are going for.

Home Cooking

I can help with any home cooking challenge, including providing ideas and motivation. Provide me with a list of what's in your fridge and I'll give you an idea for a beautiful dish. I specialize in a wide variety of ethnic foods, including Greek and Turkish dishes. I'm up to your challenge!

I began cooking at the age of 8 and never have lost the passion. I raised 2 boys who continually brought "strays" home for dinner. I've won a few local pie baking contests and am known for my food passion. I grew up in Turkey and learned to love the middle eastern food and culture, developing my own Turkish style recipes throughout the years.

I graduated high school in Ankara, Turkey. I did not go to college, but have completed multiple technical courses in Income Tax Preparation as well as marketing and customer behavior seminars. I've also completed the Steven Covey 7 Habits course.