Home Cooking/Hash Browns

Question
When I use raw grated potatoes for hash.browns they start to turn dark how can I keep that from happening?  Also I use a lettuce spinner to get the.moisture out it works great

Answer
Hi Bill,
I love your salad spinner idea, I have never thought of that. Potatoes have to be dry in order to make a good crispy hash brown. However, potatoes do oxidize,like apples, when they are left in the air after peeling. The only way to prevent the discoloring is to use them quickly after peeling, or leave them in a water bath until ready to use.
Lemon juice can stop the oxidation process on apples. I have never tried it with potatoes. My thought is that the potatoes would absorb the acidic flavor.
I hope this is helpful to you.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Sherrie  

Home Cooking

sherrie