Home Cooking/German potato egg salad

Hi Jana,
My hubby is from Northern Switzerland I want to know how I can recreate their famous potato salad for my Aussie family & friends. In our last Swiss trip I recall a homemade one had dill, onions, gherkins, parsley, blue cheese, quark cheese, egg mayonnaise mustard etc. I like it one can put that creamy dressing over baked or cold potatoes, eggs & fish. We live in Perth Australia a bit hard to find quark cheese in the supermarket. I guess I'd use fresh ricotta.
Thank you.

Hi Anthea,

I love potato salad and make it at least 6-7 times per year. It just goes with everything! I have used Bleu Cheese in mine too but never Quark. I found that there are some ways to substitute Quark that will more closely mimic the flavor and texture much better than plain Ricotta. They are fromage frais, fromage blanc or Mascarpone cheese (which is richer) or 2 parts ricotta and 1 part sour cream. I hope your Aussie family loves your Potato Salad, I'm sure they will all be asking you for the recipe!  

Home Cooking

Jana Turner

First of all, I LOVE to cook. I raised four kids and worked so quick and easy was very important. I can answer most any food/recipe question. Home style cooking is my favorite forum, but I also am knowledgable in sauces and some saute. Questions about food storage, food safety, quick and easy meals, cook ahead meals for freezing and hostess ideas are welcome here.

I have over 30 years in the food and hospitality industry. I am a certified serve-safe manager. I have entered a few recipe contests and won grand prize in one. I write recipes for fun and am working on a collection of favorites.

Serv-Safe Managers Series Certification