Home Cooking/slow cooker issues

Question
Hi Mike:  My friend has a slow cooker. He went to make stew and it turned to mush.  He floured the meat , but didn't sear it.  He also added vegetables, potatoes and liquid.  He also put in pasta, diced tomatoes, He added 32 oz. of beef stock.  he started it around 8:30 pm and got up around 3 am and found that it was mush.   What did he do wrong?  Thank you.

Answer
Hi There...the trick is to flour and sear the meat until slightly browned. Add to slow cooker and then add vegetables and enough stock to cover meat and vegetables. Always add the pasta or potatoes near the end or they will turn to mush. Cook on low for 4-6 hrs checking occasionally if more liquid is needed. Hope this helps.

Mike

Home Cooking

Mike MacDonald