Home Cooking/"Gritty" potato salad

Question
Hi Jana-

Last summer I started to use my mom's potato salad recipe as it is a favorite of mine (when she makes it) and simple. The dressing is 2c. Miracle Whip, 3/4c. sugar, 1 tsp yellow mustard, 2Tbsp vinegar, salt/pepper to taste.

When I make it the sauce comes out "gritty", like the sugar didn't dissolve. It tastes fine, but looks bad. I did it step by step from my mom's recipe but don't know what is going wrong. any idea how to make the dressing smooth and not gritty?

Thanks,
Jim

Answer
Hi Jim,
I really want to help you but I have never made this recipe. The first thing that jumped out at me was the sugar content. It seems a little high for the volume of dressing that you are making (which is about 2 1/4 cups). I don't want to question your Mom's recipe but could it be a misprint? It sounds delicious and reminds me of something that was popular in the 50's, my favorite era! I went online and did some research into some older recipes and found one that is super close. It calls for 1 tbs sugar. Maybe yours is supposed to read as 1-3 tbs instead of 1/3 C?
If that is not the case I would try making the dressing the night before you are make the salad, give the sugar time to break down. Refrigerate over night and then stir again before dressing the salad.

Let me know how this works out for you!  

Home Cooking

Jana Turner