Home Cooking/Potato salad with shredded hashbrowns

Hi Sherrie-

I LOVE potato salad! My traditional recipe takes a while to make with the peeling of the potatoes, cooking, cooling, cutting, etc...

I was at a pot luck and a person had potato salad made from bagged frozen shredded potatoes (hashbrowns), it was good! and obviously easy to make. I didn't get the recipe, do you have any thoughts (or a recipe) on how to make this style of potato salad?

Hi Jim, I have not seen a recipe for potato salad using the shredded potato's, but it has inspired me! I have seen recipe's using the cubed hash browns though. My thoughts are that you can use your basic recipe, that you already love, and substitute the shredded hash browns. I would suggest blanching/boiling for a short time to cook them first, obviously. I would bet that you will also need less mayo or miracle whip (which ever you use) than you do when using standard potatoes. I am all about experimenting to come up with new and fun tasty dishes. Simply Potatoes, which is a brand that makes different styles of refrigerated hash browns may have a recipe on their website.
My thought is to go for it and experiment! Have Fun! I would love to hear how it works out for you!

Home Cooking

I am an avid foodie....Raised by a southern mother, I have a broad base of cooking knowledge. I am not afraid to tell you I do not have the answer. In the kitchen I am adventurous as well as a traditionalist.

Life long, my mom taught me to cook as a very young child. I enjoy the art and it brings me peace to cook for family and friends.

Taught by three generations of amazing cooks. My dads family is Irish, my mom is from the south, I have been cooking my whole life.