Home Cooking/Potato salad with shredded hashbrowns

Question
Hi Sherrie-

I LOVE potato salad! My traditional recipe takes a while to make with the peeling of the potatoes, cooking, cooling, cutting, etc...

I was at a pot luck and a person had potato salad made from bagged frozen shredded potatoes (hashbrowns), it was good! and obviously easy to make. I didn't get the recipe, do you have any thoughts (or a recipe) on how to make this style of potato salad?

Thanks,
Jim

Answer
Hi Jim, I have not seen a recipe for potato salad using the shredded potato's, but it has inspired me! I have seen recipe's using the cubed hash browns though. My thoughts are that you can use your basic recipe, that you already love, and substitute the shredded hash browns. I would suggest blanching/boiling for a short time to cook them first, obviously. I would bet that you will also need less mayo or miracle whip (which ever you use) than you do when using standard potatoes. I am all about experimenting to come up with new and fun tasty dishes. Simply Potatoes, which is a brand that makes different styles of refrigerated hash browns may have a recipe on their website.
My thought is to go for it and experiment! Have Fun! I would love to hear how it works out for you!
Sherrie

Home Cooking

sherrie