Home Cooking/wild rice

I've noticed that many recipes for cooking wild rice suggest you let the water come to a boil, then cover and simmer for about an hour.  I am wondering, if the rice is covered by 2x the amount of water than rice, why cover?  The rice is cooking in the water and the heat under it will keep it hot -- cover not needed?

Hi Diane,
I have never tried increasing the water to cook rice but I am not sure it would work. It is important to cover rice, because it is a seed which needs the steam created in a covered pot to help it soften. I say give it a try and see what happens!
Good Luck!

Home Cooking

I am an avid foodie....Raised by a southern mother, I have a broad base of cooking knowledge. I am not afraid to tell you I do not have the answer. In the kitchen I am adventurous as well as a traditionalist.

Life long, my mom taught me to cook as a very young child. I enjoy the art and it brings me peace to cook for family and friends.

Taught by three generations of amazing cooks. My dads family is Irish, my mom is from the south, I have been cooking my whole life.