Home Cooking/wild rice

Question
I've noticed that many recipes for cooking wild rice suggest you let the water come to a boil, then cover and simmer for about an hour.  I am wondering, if the rice is covered by 2x the amount of water than rice, why cover?  The rice is cooking in the water and the heat under it will keep it hot -- cover not needed?

Answer
Hi Diane,
I have never tried increasing the water to cook rice but I am not sure it would work. It is important to cover rice, because it is a seed which needs the steam created in a covered pot to help it soften. I say give it a try and see what happens!
Good Luck!
Sherrie

Home Cooking

sherrie