Home Cooking/Oil in food processor

Question

Is it ok to put olive oil, or more specifically tahini into a food processor to make hummus?  My mom says NEVER, EVER do it because it will eventually get into the motor.  My mom removes the hummus and then adds tahini and mixes by hand.

Thank you,

SK

Answer
Hi SK.  I think you are both right.  Oil or tahini cannot get into a sealed motor in a food processor if it is working properly.  What can happen is that from the high speed of the blade, any oil based product like tahini or olive oil can heat up and change the flavor of your hummus if over-processed.  Many people add oil, cheese, or tahini after processing to keep the fresh flavor alive.

I do it both ways.  If I am making a quick batch, I add all the ingredients and make sure I don't run the processor once I reach the consistency I need.  If you want maximum flavor of the oil or tahini to abound, add them after processing and mix well.  The difference is often minor and a matter of preference.

Hope this helps.  Have a great day.

Jim "JimmyScones" Musumeci

Home Cooking

Jim Musumeci