Home Cooking/Philippe Richards frying pans peeling

We have 6-inch and 12-inch Philippe Richards frying pans and it looks like there is a coating on the surface that is peeling.  do you know what this is and is it dangerous?

Hi Kevin,

I checked on this brand and it seems that a lot people have had problems with the coating. I also have a P. Deen pan that is peeling and I am replacing it. In my opinion you should replace it. There is no documentation that clearly states that the Teflon-like coatings are a health risk, but do you really want to accidentally ingest it? I am a fan of uncompromised food. From a food safety point of view loose or peeling coatings can create areas of rust underneath or a spot for bacteria to grow.  

Home Cooking

Jana Turner

First of all, I LOVE to cook. I raised four kids and worked so quick and easy was very important. I can answer most any food/recipe question. Home style cooking is my favorite forum, but I also am knowledgable in sauces and some saute. Questions about food storage, food safety, quick and easy meals, cook ahead meals for freezing and hostess ideas are welcome here.

I have over 30 years in the food and hospitality industry. I am a certified serve-safe manager. I have entered a few recipe contests and won grand prize in one. I write recipes for fun and am working on a collection of favorites.

Serv-Safe Managers Series Certification