Home Cooking/eggplant with rice and parmesan

Hi Jana,
I am making a 9x12 casserole of eggplant with arborio rice and parmesan/mozzarella layered in a tomato sauce.  Each ingredient is cooked before assembled in layers.  Can I make it up to this point the day before and then bake it the day I'm serving it or will it make it mushy by letting it all sit in the sauce for so long ahead of cooking.  Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.  
Thank you,

Hi Pst,

I would suggest preparing the ingredients as usual, but chill them before assembly. I believe if you do it this way you can avoid the rice getting mushy. Be sure to under cook the ingredients a bit as well, al dente. That way when you bake the casserole the next day, the rice will finish cooking and absorb flavors and the eggplant will be tender but firm. The recipe sounds wonderful!

Home Cooking

Jana Turner

First of all, I LOVE to cook. I raised four kids and worked so quick and easy was very important. I can answer most any food/recipe question. Home style cooking is my favorite forum, but I also am knowledgable in sauces and some saute. Questions about food storage, food safety, quick and easy meals, cook ahead meals for freezing and hostess ideas are welcome here.

I have over 30 years in the food and hospitality industry. I am a certified serve-safe manager. I have entered a few recipe contests and won grand prize in one. I write recipes for fun and am working on a collection of favorites.

Serv-Safe Managers Series Certification