Home Cooking/eggplant with rice and parmesan

Question
Hi Jim,
I  am making a 9x13 casserole of eggplant with arborio rice and parmesan/mozzarella in a tomato sauce.  If I make this ahead, refrigerate, and cook it the next day will it be all right?  Everything is cooked before it is assembled in layers, and I was afraid it might make the eggplant too mushy.  What is your opinion or ideas?
Thanks so much,
Pat

Answer
Pat.  Thanks for the question.  Making the dish ahead should be fine.  Don't overcook any of the ingredients.  I would definitely take the casserole out of the refrigerator at least one hour before heating so it can come to room temperature. If you bake it straight from the refrigerator, the period while it heats in the oven from cold to warm may cause the eggplant to become mushy.

Then heat the casserole at 350-375 degrees or a bit higher until bubbly. I do this all the time.  The whole thing sounds delicious...comfort food.  Have a great meal!

Home Cooking

Jim Musumeci