Home Cooking/butternut squash lasagna

Question
Hi Jim,

I'm making a butternut squash lasagna that calls for a béchamel sauce with basil.  I think it might be too thin, but I'm not familiar with béchamel sauce and I'm not sure.  I'm using oven-ready (No-Boil) lasagna.  Will the sauce thicken as it bakes?  Any advice would be much appreciated.  I don't have a lot of time and would really like to avoid making it over again if possible.  
Thanks,
Pat

Answer
Hi Pat.  The bechamel is a good sauce for butternut squash lasagna.  I make it often for my classes.  Don't worry about it being too thin.  The sauce will not only thicken but will disappear into the lasagna as it bakes.  You want it thin because the sauce will cook the lasagna and will soak into the noodles.  You can use no-boil or regular lasagna.  Both will work.  My advice is to make extra sauce since the lasagna it will tend to dry out if not wet enough.

I can suggest a recipe if you want some additional ideas.  Gilda di Laurentis has a great butternut squash recipe.  Just go on Food Network website and search for butternut squash lasagna.  You will see her recipe which also includes basil.  Good luck with this fabulous comfort food.  Have a great day.

Home Cooking

Jim Musumeci