Home Cooking/Cooking principles?

Hi Jana,

I am novice cook.  I don't understand, why should I cook the ground beef and then add the onions?  Why can't I just cook both at the same time?  Also, why can't I just put the ground beef and onion into the pan, add the chicken broth, and my green beans and cook for 15 min to cook the green beans.  By the time the beans are done, the beef and onions will be done too.  Please explain.

Thank you,

Hi SK,  I'll do my best to help you understand without knowing what dish you're making, but I also like to encourage young cooks to try different things. It's the best way to learn even through your failures. First of all I'm not sure what dish you're cooking that uses chicken broth and beef in the same dish, you may want to consider beef broth or vegetable broth instead. As for cooking ground beef separately, the reason is because of the fat and oils you'll need to drain off. If you coo
k the onions with the beef they'll lose their flavor. Best to cook and drain the meat, then saute the the onions in so you have that flavor layer. Some things in cooking won't always make sense until you know more. Follow your recipes as written until you get the hang of things, then play around and get creative!

Home Cooking

Jana Turner

First of all, I LOVE to cook. I raised four kids and worked so quick and easy was very important. I can answer most any food/recipe question. Home style cooking is my favorite forum, but I also am knowledgable in sauces and some saute. Questions about food storage, food safety, quick and easy meals, cook ahead meals for freezing and hostess ideas are welcome here.

I have over 30 years in the food and hospitality industry. I am a certified serve-safe manager. I have entered a few recipe contests and won grand prize in one. I write recipes for fun and am working on a collection of favorites.

Serv-Safe Managers Series Certification