Home Cooking/Only a tblspn of spice?

Question
Hello!

I LOVE to cook when I can at home. I've been working on various recipes, and adding to others just to see how they work together.  When I cook, I often run into adding only a tablespoon of spice (i.e. paprika to a chicken paprikash).  Why add only a bit? I feel like I can't even taste the amount used.  The same goes with salt, pepper, etc.  What great advice can you give? Thanks much!

Frank

Answer
It's a good question Frank and my answer is based on my experience. I agree that very often we under spice our foods for fear of overdoing it.  People will comment that restaurant food seems to taste so much better than the same dish made at home. My experience with restaurant cooking and in the classes I teach is that we often need to be more aggressive in adding spices to foods and experimenting. Restaurants are not afraid to add the additional salt (within reason) or garlic to bring out some bold flavors or bring a dish to life.

I would advise you to start with a smaller amount,taste, and then let loose.  Experiment with fresh and dried herbs and spices.  Add that extra paprika, or maybe some smoked paprika and then taste again.  The key is to keep tasting as you go along.  You will be surprised how your dishes will reach new heights.

Hope this helps.  Happy cooking.  

Home Cooking

Jim Musumeci