Home Cooking/Stew thickener

Question
Hello: I got a recipe from my sister for slow cooker beef stew.It calls for tapioca,but I don't have any on hand.Could I substitute wheat gluten? I found a bag in my pantry which I have had for years,and don't recall why I bought it originally. No,I am NOT gluten intolerant,lol! Thanks!

Answer
Hi Michael. What I do when I make slow cooker stew is I mix some salt and pepper in flour in a plastic bag and add the beef to it and shake it around. Then put the meat in fry pan just to brown it off and it adds flavor and seals the juices in the meat. I then add some beef broth to the fry pan to get the leftover goodness from searing the meat. I add the some of the leftover flour to it and whisk it to a smooth consistencey. Put the meat, veg and stock into the slow cooker and set how long you want to cook it. If you feel it is still too thin you can thicken up some beef stock and add it to the stew near the end. Hope everything works out for you....

Mike

Home Cooking

Mike MacDonald