Home Cooking/serving soup and salad

Question
Hi Jim,
I'm having 8 women for a light dinner and I plan on serving wonton soup and Chinese chicken salad.  I'd like to serve the soup first and have the salad in the refrigerator dressed, tossed, and ready to serve.  (I'm serving the salad in the Chinese take out boxes with pretty chop sticks.  Will the salad be ok if it's in the refrigerator for 45 minutes or so?  I'll dress it lightly.  (I don't want to leave the table and have lots to do in between courses)  I even thought about serving the soup and salad at the same time, but not sure if I should.
Thanks for any help you can give me.  
Pat

Answer
Hi Pat.  I'm not sure if your will have the salad dressed in a large bowl in the refrigerator or in the individual boxes while staying cool. I would say you can go two ways:

1. You can lightly dress the salad in a bowl in the refrigerator, toss in into containers at the last minute, and serve added dressing to your guests in a small pitcher or serving bowl to use as they desire. This is probably the safest bet.

2. You can probably get away with 45 minutes or so of fully dressed salad in containers in the fridge with little damage.  That is a pretty potent dressing that may start to wilt the cabbage or lettuce if left on too much longer. I don't think that amount of time would be an issue.

Hope this helps.  You have helped me decide what would be a good dish for this warm weekend.  Have a great weekend yourself.

JimmyScones

Home Cooking

Jim Musumeci