Home Cooking/Beef vegetable soup

Hello, I am 57 and know very little about cooking. I resently attempted to make B.V.S.. It didn't go well. I first browned the chuck roast, then put in lima beans,onions,cabbage,potatoes, carrots and celery. I then cooked it for around 2 hours. I then added the tomatoes. It was not eatable. I threw it away !
My sister who lives in a different city and is a fantastic cook ! She says my mistake was that when making this type of soup you MUST cook all ingredients separate than combine them at the end for some additional cooking. This seems like to much work ! One, is she correct ? Two, do you know a easier way ?
Thank You

Hi Doug,
Sorry to tell you, you're sister is right. When you cook the beef first, it's doing 2 things, tenderizing the beef and making a flavor base for the stock.
I usually brown the cubed beef, onions, fresh garlic and celery in a little olive oil to start it all off. Add to the pot your water and spices, simmer low until the beef is tender.
Add your veggies in the last 30-40 minutes. This should be just enough time for them to get tender and for all the flavors to mingle without everything turning to mush.
I have to say, making soup is a great way to learn a little more about cooking and spices. Get some simple recipes off the internet and have fun with it!

Home Cooking

Jana Turner

First of all, I LOVE to cook. I raised four kids and worked so quick and easy was very important. I can answer most any food/recipe question. Home style cooking is my favorite forum, but I also am knowledgable in sauces and some saute. Questions about food storage, food safety, quick and easy meals, cook ahead meals for freezing and hostess ideas are welcome here.

I have over 30 years in the food and hospitality industry. I am a certified serve-safe manager. I have entered a few recipe contests and won grand prize in one. I write recipes for fun and am working on a collection of favorites.

Serv-Safe Managers Series Certification