Home Furnishings/Furniture/chair

Question
Hi, I love very contemporary home decor. I am undecided on what material to use on my retro circa 1960's chair.  I currently have light tan modern chaise and couch. I also currently have a red leather chair/reclincer that is very contemporary.  My decorations are black/white for the pictures and metal end tables. I have a red lamp shade with clear blocks as the base that I also love.

My question is what material should I use for my accent chair?  I thought lime green, but that wouldn't go with the red leather chair.  I also thought black leapard print as well. Any suggestions for this chair would be great.

I don't want to get rid of the red lamp or red leather chair.

Thanks so much!

Answer
Hi!  Sorry for the wait--I'd been out of town.

Black, white and red is one of my favorite color combos.  I use that (or royal blue instead of red) quite often.

Definitely do not get rid of anything red.  Having sold Asian furniture for years and also having gone to Asia to pick merchandise, I can tell you that while black lacquer is often requested by customers, once we put red-lacquer furniture & red porcelain on the sales floor on a hunch, we couldn't keep it in stock.

As for the accent...good question.  I've never had to re-upholster anything as all of our merchandise came straight from the factory or was an antique that had no cushion, so I've never dealt with fabrics.  But having co-owned both an Asian home-decor store and an art gallery, I've dealt with a lot of colors and a lot of customers have brought me photos, paint swatches...even cushions from couches so I could make a recommendation on matching colors.

Lime green wouldn't go.  Unless it's in a pie I'm not a fan of it.  But picking up from my experience with Asian decor, I'd say that gold would be a perfect match.  The first three colors I think of when I think Asian decor:  red, gold, black.  A golden yellow, beige or something along those lines would really pop.  

Here's an article I found for you on ehow.com about black, white and red rooms.  It has a section on accenting with gold that illustrates my point perfectly.  

http://www.ehow.com/info_8196494_ideas-white-red-living-rooms.html

You might want to flip through the photos here, too.  She has hot pink, not red, but notice how much the yellow and natural wood stands out throughout the house:

http://www.marthastewart.com/photogallery/home-tour-chicago-row-house

Good luck!

Home Furnishings/Furniture

Adam Greenberg