Home Furnishings/Furniture/Query 123

Question
Good day
With reference to decorating, can you refer me to 3 5  practical, do it yourself guide that teaches anyone the principles of decorating. Something quick and easy to read.
Work in a store and wanted to find out if one can apply the same principles of decorating to merchandizing.
I am mostly interested in the practical do it yourself principles that I can apply.

Answer
Hello and thanks for your question.  I apologize for the delay; my internet service has been giving me problems recently due to extreme weather.

There are, of course, COUNTLESS references online.  I am a former retail store owner and I've also worked for a couple  of the largest retailers in the world, so I've followed other people's merchandising plans as well as created my own displays for both in-store and window displays.

The short answer I have for you is that there is no "one size fits all" solution to merchandising.  I would like to get a little more information from you.  I was a co-owner of two stores:  one was an Asian antique store and the other was an oil painting gallery store.  While both are n the same general category of "home decor," large pieces of furniture are displayed very differently than are pieces of wall art.  Most of what we did was based on instinct from experience.  That being said, a convenience store, a grocery store, a retail pharmacy and a gift shop--even different departments within those stores--all have have different merchandising plans.

I'd like to narrow things down and find a great merchandising reference for you which I'd feel comfortable using myself if I was in your position, or to help you create one yourself.

Please tell me a bit about what you're merchandising, where it's being sold, who your customers are and anything else you think might help me.

**Please note that I will be out of the office for three weeks, from 12 Feb. 2013 to 05 Mar. 2013, so you may not receive a reply from me during that time.**

Thank you very much for choosing AllExperts!

Home Furnishings/Furniture

Adam Greenberg