Home Furnishings/Furniture/rugs

I bought a beautiful, embroidered rug from a charity shop, it is similar type to Laura Ashley.  It measures 9feet by 12feet and has a Hessian back.  The trouble I find is that it is wrinkling underfooot and then looks unsightly, is there any tip you can give me to stop this.

Kindest regard

Hi and thank you for your question.

I apologize for the slight delay; I just returned from a month out of town. (It was only supposed to be three weeks but it was unexpectedly extended.)

My expertise is much more in furniture, porcelain, jade/stone, or pretty much anything except fabrics.  Rugs were the only Asian item that our small-business, family-owned and -operated Asian decor store didn't sell--there are already a bunch of rug dealers in town, including the big-box home repair stores.  I just took a fast look and saw a couple of rugs similar to the one you described available in my local store; the prices were between $850.00 and just over $2000.00.

I have, however, had several rugs in my home over the years.

One thing you might do, which is easy, is to check to see if there is a rug company in your area where you can bring it to be cleaned, much like you might drop dry-cleaning.  I've done that for my own rugs, some of which were in storage, and they came out like new.

But if you want to do it yourself, I did do a fast check online for you.  As I thought, quite literally flattening the rug with some heat--but never an iron--is the solution.  There's a little more to it, though.  Here's a link to the article I read:

Once you have it flat, you might consider a rug pad under it.  A rubber pad in your size, 9x12 (a standard rug size), ran $131 on one site I saw and a felt one was $112.99 on another site.  I'm sure you can find less expensive ones if you look around online a bit.

Thank you for choosing AllExperts!  

Home Furnishings/Furniture

Adam Greenberg

I can answer any questions about Asian furniture, decor, etc.

I am a former co-owner, sales manager and purchasing agent for the now-gone Arts of Asia in St. Louis, MO. Arts of Asia was the largest and oldest direct importer of home decor from Asia, primarily China and Hong Kong. All of our purchasing was done on-site. I've been to the factories, warehouses, showrooms in Guangzhou and Hong Kong to pick merchandise ranging from large cabinets down to small jade statues. I have even designed a popular series of furniture that we had custom-made.

Former member, St. Louis Association of REALTORS Former member, Missouri Association of REALTORS Former member, National Association of REALTORS

I hold a BA in Speech Communications (public speaking) and I have been licensed as a Real Estate Salesperson in Missouri since 2005.

As of this writing, I hold a "Customer's Choice" award on justAnswer.com.

I have dealt not only on our sales floor with consumers, but I've also dealt with many interior decorators, most members of the local chapter of ASID (American Society for Interior Design) either with or without their clients.