Home Furnishings/Furniture/leather couch

We recently got rid of our old leather couch because there was a rip at the spot where the head rests. I believe it was caused because we failed to apply leather lotion on a regular basis, which would have prevented the leather from drying out. Now we bought a new leather couch a month ago and I've noticed that where my head rests (see photo, below the towel) a dry (matte-like) finish already seems to be forming. Does this mean the new couch is already on the path to being damaged? We have put a towel there to protect it for now. Thanks.

Hi David and thanks for your question.  I apologize for the slight delay--with graduation and end of school I've done a bit of last-minute traveling.

I noted that you say the damage is occurring where your head rests.  I did not sell leather furniture, but I've owned some.  So I did a little research for you.  I wouldn't write this couch off yet.  It's possible, since the damage has occurred at the same spot on both the old and new couches, that body oils are the cause.  Regular cleaning with a leather cleaner should eliminate your problem and if you catch it before it cracks, your couch should be fine.

Please see this article I read:

Thank you for choosing AllExperts and please remember to rate your expert!

Home Furnishings/Furniture

Adam Greenberg

I can answer any questions about Asian furniture, decor, etc.

I am a former co-owner, sales manager and purchasing agent for the now-gone Arts of Asia in St. Louis, MO. Arts of Asia was the largest and oldest direct importer of home decor from Asia, primarily China and Hong Kong. All of our purchasing was done on-site. I've been to the factories, warehouses, showrooms in Guangzhou and Hong Kong to pick merchandise ranging from large cabinets down to small jade statues. I have even designed a popular series of furniture that we had custom-made.

Former member, St. Louis Association of REALTORS Former member, Missouri Association of REALTORS Former member, National Association of REALTORS

I hold a BA in Speech Communications (public speaking) and I have been licensed as a Real Estate Salesperson in Missouri since 2005.

As of this writing, I hold a "Customer's Choice" award on justAnswer.com.

I have dealt not only on our sales floor with consumers, but I've also dealt with many interior decorators, most members of the local chapter of ASID (American Society for Interior Design) either with or without their clients.