Home Furnishings/Furniture/Sofa cushions quality

Question
My wife is asking me to replace the recliner sectional sofa set we purchased from Ashley about 5 years ago (Ashley is a very well known brand in California). The sofa still looks nice, but the cushions no longer have the soft and "cushiony" feel.

Going forward, when I do the search on cushion warranty, I can't get straight answers. Therefore, I am not sure if the cushions of a $4,000 sectional sofa would have significantly longer life than the similar COSTCO and Ashley sectionals selling for about $1,400. If not, should I buy the $1,400 set and discard it after 4 or 5 years? Just thinking of discarding young, new looking sofa makes me sick. That's a terrorist act on our natural resources and mother nature. Please advise. PS: Can the cushions be repaired in a reliable manner?

Answer
Hello!  Ashley is actually known nationwide--I'm in South Florida and I see commercials for Ashley every day.  I don't know about the cushion warranty.  But if the structure of the frame of the furniture is in good shape, that is to say there are no breaks that make it unusable, you can likely get it re-upholstered with new fabric and have new cushions made for it...all at the same time.  It would be a waste to buy new furniture every few years if you like the look of the piece.  People often change fabrics on furniture when re-designing a room.  My Asian furniture came in from China with beige silky fabric.  Sometimes, people would take items they had bought from our store and have red silk put on to give them an even-more Chinese look.  Just take a photo of the sofa and one or two cushions to your nearest upholstery shop so they can measure and give you an idea of the cost.  Don't have one or know one?  Call a local small-business furniture store or antique store (we were both) and ask for a recommendation.

Thanks for your question and please remember to rate your Expert.  

Thank you for choosing AllExperts!

Home Furnishings/Furniture

Adam Greenberg