Home Furnishings/Furniture/support on rug

Question
I have recently laid down an area rug over an existing  thick pile carpet.  I then placed an ottoman with wheels on the area rug.  The ottoman is sinking into the pile creating an indentation that I fear will leave marks in the rug permanently.  
I realize this may not be your focus or expertise but my question is:
Are there any products that you are aware of that I can put under the legs of my ottoman to prevent this from happening.  
Thanks for any help.
Judy

Answer
Hi Judy,
Thank you for your email and your interest. Indentations on a rug aren't terrible. They usually come out with a bit of fluffing with a brush and then washing the rug. The issue you need to be worried about when you have such a heavy object with a plush rug underneath is stretching. The ottoman wheels could act the way a wire hanger does with a sweater that is hung on it too long. You could try putting a durable rug pad beneath the rug to make the area stiffer, and you can also try furniture cups such as these: http://www.amazon.com/Shepherd-Hardware-19076-2-Inch-Furniture/dp/B000BODU52/ref to help displace the weight a bit. After a month or so, I'd take the rug out, flip it over on a hard surface and see if you notice any stretch marks where the ottoman sits. If you don't, you should be good to go. If you do, you might need to rethink the rug or the ottoman. What kind of rug is it, by the way? If you know, I can let you know if this is a rug that is susceptible to stretching.
Thanks,
Katie

Jahann and Sons Persian Rugs
4210 Howard Avenue
Kensington, MD 20895
301-530-6660
www.jahannandsons.com

Home Furnishings/Furniture

Jahann and Sons Persian Rugs