Home Improvement--General/Noisy vinyl windows

reberrare wrote at 2008-06-17 05:13:44
I have had this problem before as I specifically work on vinyl and cladded wood windows in the Pacific Northwest. "Noisy" vinyl windows are almost always a "bead to glass" issue. ie- bead is "rubbing" against the glass IGU. I have found it mostly in windy conditions here on windows with outside glazing bead. The answer I found to be most permanent was to take the glazing bead out and add a "gasket" between the bead and glass. What I used was glazing tape. It solved the problem immediately. Thanks

crackle of snap crackle +pop wrote at 2009-09-05 04:11:10
You may want to try and grease your rails with parafin wax. This problem has happened to me year round. When the inside temperature far exceeds the outside (during winter) the same thing occurs. Vinyl windows rub against vinyl sahes + rails. Vinyl has a bit of a tacky surface and can stick to a like surface. The parafin wax should allow the two like surfaces to expand and contract without causing the sudden release of built-up pressure between them.

T wrote at 2013-08-01 03:45:25
Does anyone else have any suggestions for these noisy windows.  I also have very large window that crakle and pop so loud it can keep you awake at night.  It seems to always happen when the temperature changes outside.  This is driving me crazy, if anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Ken wrote at 2013-12-31 20:26:14
Hi June and Rick,

I know I'm reviving a pretty old thread right now, but I came across this thread in researching essentially the same issue June has described.  My windows are Empire Pacific Windows.  They pop when the sun hits them as well as when the temps get above the mid 50's or below the mid 40's.  An additional point of interest is that they pop when I walk by them as well.  I am curious if it was ever determined what the cause of your popping was?  I've been working with Cascade Windows (who purchased Empre Pacific a few years back) to diagnose, and so far, the only possible diagnosis they seem to have is that the vinyl frame is rubbing against the vinyl trim, which is creating the noise.  They are currently testing this hypothesis by inserting some tape between the vinyl frame and trim to see if this fixes the issue.

Are you able to provide any further detail as to the outcome of your situation?

Ken Braverman

Home Improvement--General

Rick Hubbard

I can answer virtually any question about residential construction and remodeling, but I PREFER and have special interest and expertise in the following areas: Exterior design, cost vs. value, room additions, low-maintenance materials, sunrooms, conservatories, patio design, patio covers & shade structures, replacement doors & windows, glass & glazing technology, roofing, non-conventional construction, structurally-insulated panels, siding, insulation, sealants, membranes, decking, metal & composite framing materials, skylights, pool & spa enclosures, architectural drawings, DIY planning & installation tips, and green building technologies, installations, and materials as they relate to home improvements and additions. Additionally, I am particularly interested in helping homeowners learn how to determine the value and/or return on investment of particular projects, choose reliable contractors and gain “insider” information about to accurately compare materials, estimates, warranties and otherwise make good decisions about improving their homes. I also have above average (not quite expert) knowledge and can answer general questions about masonry, electrical, mechanical, foundations and plumbing, but please try to find an expert who is THE most suited for your particular question if possible.

I have extensive experience in residential construction, sales, management & planning with a special interest in unique, well-engineered designs, cutting-edge technologies, energy-efficient materials and installation techniques as well as producing the highest possible return on investment for homeowners. I have worked as an installer, sub-contractor, designer, salesman, manager, executive and owner of several of the largest remodeling companies in Texas. I currently own and manage TX Park Cities Properties, LLC and Texas Rooms And Windows, LLC. Texas Rooms And Windows (TRAW) is a Dallas-based, design/build firm specializing in ultra energy-efficient, Sun Space Additions (Sunrooms, Conservatories and Custom Windows). TRAW is one of the fastest growing Sunroom and Window Companies in Texas and is projected to be one of the Top 500 Remodelers in the nation in 2009 with office locations in Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin and San Antonio, TX.

National Association of the Remodeling Industry, U.S. Green Building Council, Texas Residential Construction Commission Registered Builder, Building Trades Association, Efficient Windows Collaborative, National Sunroom Association, Building Trades Association, Greater Dallas Chamber of Commerce, Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity, Epsilon Omicron Alumni Association, Boy Scouts of America, National Rifle Association, AMFTP Certified Personal Trainer, Dallas Blue Executives, DFW Entrepreneurs.

Undergrad-Stephen F. Austin State University
Significant, continuing education in Business Management and Construction Technologies.