Home Improvement--General/attic insulation

I currently have natural wool blown in insulation in the attic.  I would like to increase the R value by 20.  Current the insulation is 2 inches above the ceiling joist.  Can I add bats of insulation directly on to of the existing?  Will this compress the existing insulation too much? Should I use blown in insulation?  And finally can I use fiberglass insulation on top of wool insulation?

You can add fiberglass on top of your wool. It will compress the existing wool a little more than blow in will which means you'll loose a little R value in doing so. Also remember to use unfaced insulation. There should be no vapor barrier between the two. Also make sure you don't block the soffit vent channels which ever type of insulation you chose. You need to have good ventilation in your attic.
I'd use the blown in type if you have the choice. It's usually not a DIY project though.
All the best,

Home Improvement--General

Jay Cipriani

How do I select a professional remodeling contractor? What needs to be in a home improvement contract to protect the home owner? General design and estimating questions. Product selection, analyzation of bad workmanship, and expectations of a remodeling process.

Cipriani Builders, Inc., now Cipriani Remodeling Solutions, is a professional, design-build remodeling firm, founded in 1978. I got into the remodeling business largely because of his father who was also a contractor. Cipriani Builders has serviced over 3,000 homes throughout the South Jersey area. They include kitchens, bathrooms, additions, windows, siding, roofing and much more.

National Association of Home Builders Remodelors Council (NAHB) American Institute of Architects West Jersey (AIA) Better Business Bureau (BBB) Builders League of South Jersey (BLSJ) National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA) New Jersey Remodelers Association VP (NJRA) Tri-County Code Association Cherry Hill Chamber of Commerce Greater Woodbury Chamber of Commerce Gloucester County Chamber of Commerce National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI) Remodelers Advantage IFDA, VP 2008 ASID

I was the former Host, Writer and Producer of "House and Home" show on a local South Jersey Comcast cable station. I was featured in 1998 and 1999 on The Discovery Channel's "Gimme Shelter 2". I was featured on The Discovery Channel's "Home Matters" with Susan Powell. I have written articles for the monthly trade magazine, Builder/Architect. My expertise in historical renovation received recognition through a project featured on the cover of New Jersey Contractor Magazine. I was featured in 2007 and 2008 in a CBS Channel 10 News story on the home remodeling industry as a Home Remodeling expert.

New Jersey University of Medicine and Dentistry National Association of the Remodeling Industry Certified Remodeler Program

• 30 years of building and remodeling • Cipriani Builders has been featured in the Courier Post, Gloucester County Times, and Philadelphia Inquirer. • Professional Remodeler magazine ran a feature article on Cipriani Builders. • Cipriani Builders were featured in Design / Build Business. This magazine is used a resource among residential design / build professionals and their customers. • Qualified Remodeler magazine listed Cipriani Builders, Inc. as one of the Top 500 Companies Nationally. We continue to move up each year. • Remodeling Magazine added Cipriani Builders to their Big 50 “Hall of Fame”. • Cipriani Builders received the National Contractor of the Year Award for company image from NARI. • Cipriani Builders was awarded the Valuestar Customer-Rated Gold Seal for consistently delivering high customer satisfaction and for passing the qualification steps of insurance, legal, financial status, and state license requirements.

Over 3000 clients in the South Jersey area.