Home Improvement--General/cat urine smell from vapor barrier

Question
Dear Sir,

I had my crawl space encapsulated over a year ago. From day one it had a strong smell of cat urine and I waa told it would dissapate over time. I do not have a cat and no animals could access the crawl space.The smell is still strong and comes up through the floor into the first floor. I am having difficulty with my breathing and tightness in my chest which I think is coming from the fumes coming off the vapor barrier. The contractor is unwilling to do anything. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks, Mike

Answer
It sounds to me that the material they used in the crawlspace is offgassing.

Outgassing (sometimes called offgassing, particularly when in reference to indoor air quality) is the release of a gas that was dissolved, trapped, frozen or absorbed in some material.

Outgassing can include sublimation and evaporation which are phase transitions of a substance into a gas, as well as desorption, seepage from cracks or internal volumes and gaseous products of slow chemical reactions.

This smell should go away in time. I would install a powerful crawlspace ventilation fan that is vented to the outside. Fan will create a negative pressure in the crawlspace which will not allow the smell to enter the living space above. The new fan will need electric and can be installed through a existing crawlspace vent if you have one.

Home Improvement--General

Jay Cipriani