Home Improvement--General/Gravity as Substitute for Pump

There is a drain pipe in my basement from the wet bar, the pipe is about 12 inches off the floor. I also have a sump that fills up quite regularly and gets discharged with a submersible sump pump. It cycles frequently and is not adjustable. My idea to use gravity to empty the sump, a plan I don't think will work.
I would extend a type of "chimney" about 14 inches from the top of the sump. Imagine a rubber safety cone, tapered at the top, inserted into the sump and sealed with silicone so as not to leak.
I would tap off the top of the cone, which is about 2 inches higher than the drain, with PVC pipe or hose and terminate it at the drain, 2 inches below.
The rising water in the sump would have nowhere to go but up inside the cone and out of the top, through the PVC or hose and into the drain.
If this works I could retire the sump pump, the battery backup and the backup generator as gravity would take care of it.
Something tells me this can't work but I don't know why.
Thanks for your expert opinion!

Very interesting theory but the hydrostatic pressure needed for this to work would force the water out of the cracks between the floor and the wall before it would rise in the cone. Water will want to take the path of least resistance which would not be up the cone but laterally elsewhere.

If the main drain to the house is below the basement floor you could trench to it from the sump and use gravity to empty the sump. You would then have to tap into the city sewer system to discard your water which in some cities is prohibited.

Home Improvement--General

Jay Cipriani

How do I select a professional remodeling contractor? What needs to be in a home improvement contract to protect the home owner? General design and estimating questions. Product selection, analyzation of bad workmanship, and expectations of a remodeling process.

Cipriani Builders, Inc., now Cipriani Remodeling Solutions, is a professional, design-build remodeling firm, founded in 1978. I got into the remodeling business largely because of his father who was also a contractor. Cipriani Builders has serviced over 3,000 homes throughout the South Jersey area. They include kitchens, bathrooms, additions, windows, siding, roofing and much more.

National Association of Home Builders Remodelors Council (NAHB) American Institute of Architects West Jersey (AIA) Better Business Bureau (BBB) Builders League of South Jersey (BLSJ) National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA) New Jersey Remodelers Association VP (NJRA) Tri-County Code Association Cherry Hill Chamber of Commerce Greater Woodbury Chamber of Commerce Gloucester County Chamber of Commerce National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI) Remodelers Advantage IFDA, VP 2008 ASID

I was the former Host, Writer and Producer of "House and Home" show on a local South Jersey Comcast cable station. I was featured in 1998 and 1999 on The Discovery Channel's "Gimme Shelter 2". I was featured on The Discovery Channel's "Home Matters" with Susan Powell. I have written articles for the monthly trade magazine, Builder/Architect. My expertise in historical renovation received recognition through a project featured on the cover of New Jersey Contractor Magazine. I was featured in 2007 and 2008 in a CBS Channel 10 News story on the home remodeling industry as a Home Remodeling expert.

New Jersey University of Medicine and Dentistry National Association of the Remodeling Industry Certified Remodeler Program

• 30 years of building and remodeling • Cipriani Builders has been featured in the Courier Post, Gloucester County Times, and Philadelphia Inquirer. • Professional Remodeler magazine ran a feature article on Cipriani Builders. • Cipriani Builders were featured in Design / Build Business. This magazine is used a resource among residential design / build professionals and their customers. • Qualified Remodeler magazine listed Cipriani Builders, Inc. as one of the Top 500 Companies Nationally. We continue to move up each year. • Remodeling Magazine added Cipriani Builders to their Big 50 “Hall of Fame”. • Cipriani Builders received the National Contractor of the Year Award for company image from NARI. • Cipriani Builders was awarded the Valuestar Customer-Rated Gold Seal for consistently delivering high customer satisfaction and for passing the qualification steps of insurance, legal, financial status, and state license requirements.

Over 3000 clients in the South Jersey area.