Home Improvement--General/installing new windows

The Sears people and a local contractor both came and gave me an estimate on replacing my 1982 windows from my home that was also built then by U.S. Homes. The Sears people would take out the existing windows without breaking the bricks through the outside and place the new ones in. They are high quality according to the specialist who gave me a quote of $11,380. He said they would open on the inside without going outside so as to clean them and that they are virtually unbreakable. The local contractor hasn't  yet given me the estimate because the weather got pretty bad and he didn't finish but says he will do the job for much less than that and will do it  through the inside of the house and will plaster and leave the inside as it was before the job. I need expert advice. Please, help! Thank you.

Hi Esther , I suggest weighing your options of both cost and inconvenience . Make sure that you get some references from the contractor and ask for a copy of his liability insurance ( COVER SHEET )take down his license #. Cover your bases , so everything is on the up and up . Good luck ! Brian Michael Flickinger

Home Improvement--General

Brian Michael Flickinger

I can answer all ,but electrical and plumbing questions!

I was an expert volunteer for a while, and was asked to be a HOME IMPROVEMENT GURU by YAHOO after excelling in the volunteer program for questions.

I was a MASTER SPRAYER/painter for the BROTHERHOOD OF PAINTERS UNION in NYC. I am a MASTER CARPENTER,and well versed in all related fields of home building,remodeling,and repair.

My work as a finish carpenter,and painter has appeared in ARCHITECTURAL DIGEST for various companies.

I learned cabinet making, and furniture repair after school ,beginning at the age of thirteen until I graduated at 18 .My parents were the largest antique dealers on the east coast for 22 years.I did not want to limit my skills.I also worked in residential demolition at 15,was an insulation installer at 17,framed houses at 18 was a labor foreman for a mason at 19,and began designing and building custom kitchen cabinets and furniture at 20,after 20 I freelanced for high end residential builders,and remodeling experts.

I was asked by YAHOO to be a HOME IMPROVEMENT GURU in 2007.

PAST CLIENTS, and job descriptions can be viewed on line under my full name and TOP EXPERT,in 2007.