Home Improvement--General/insulation

Question
Dear PP,
  I have an old house and want to insulate the roof rafters to finish my attic. The problem is that most rafters are spaced at 26 +/- 1 inches leaving a nonstandard gap between them. Can I still use fiberglass batts? Recommendations? Sincerely, Dick Schlueter

Answer
morning Richard:

Depending on the size of the rafter will determine what can be done. You need air flow to keep the roof from holding/building up moisture. You will need to install flow vents between the rafters from the soffet base of the roof to the ridge line of the roof.

I recommend cutting the peak of the roof and installing a ridge vent. Called Cobra vent.
      You could use 1" X 3" span 16" on center across the rafters to support the added insulation. This will allow you to make up the difference of the missing 2" of insulation.

You could also have spray insulation installed. This may be more costly.

I recommend pricing both ways. Thank you for asking this question. Please let me know how you make out.

Sincerely
PP  

Home Improvement--General

Paul Polletta DBA TOP-NOTCH RENOVATIONS