Home Improvement--General/Using multibond to lay porcelain tiles

Question
Hello, we have removed some already laid porcelain tiles without breaking any of them, and the thinnset used is still intact. can we re-lay new tiles over the old thinnset using multibond? that is layer below is old thinnset and on top of that will be the multibond, and then tile on top of multibond. so multibond will be used to "secure" or hold tile in place.thanks, pearl

Answer
Hello, Pearl.

I thought I answered this question a couple of days ago, but cannot find it in my list. I remember asking for photos so I can see what you're talking about.  

"Multibond" may work, but it may not. Reading your previous question again, it sounds like the tiles you're talking about reinstalling are vertical, because no one will walk on them. My concern is: Even if you add a small amount of "multibond" to the backs of the tile, it's going to make the tiles project out further than the tiles above, which may make grouting difficult, and could allow water to get behind the replaced tiles.

You've got a difficult challenge. Have you considered calling a professional tile setter for a local opinion? You may have to pay for consulting, but consider it insurance against something that could turn out to be much more expensive, if the "multibond" doesn't work.

Wishing you luck, and hope that you can get the problem resolved quickly.

Diane Plesset, CMKBD, NCIDQ, C.A.P.S.
D. P. Design

Home Improvement--General

Diane Plesset