Home Improvement--General/water leaking in under the window apron

Question
QUESTION: hi Brian!

During the Sandy storm,I watched water running down my inside wall, FROM UNDER THE WINDOW APRON.

To keep this description as accurate as possible, I want to be sure that I'm using the right word- the APRON is the VERTICAL piece of wood, attached to the wall,under the HORIZONTAL wooden sill stool.

How do I stop the water from leaking into the house at the apron location?

Thanks for your  reply.

Chris

ANSWER: Your leak is occurring from outside around the window . This could be because it was not flashed properly . You can caulk it with beuhtal rubber if I am spelling that correctly , from Sherwin Williams paint sore .Gently pry the trim out a little and use a pencil or something of equal size to hold the outer edge from the exterior wall , so you can squirt an even bead from top to bottom and then tap it back into place , do the same with both sides and then put a bead along the top where the flashing rests on top of the trim piece .The bottom should be angled , but it may have gaps in it as well , so caulk the underside of the outer sill . This should prevent any more water from leaking inside . Good luck & have a great weekend ! Brian Michael Flickinger

QUESTION: Hi Brian, thanks for your reply.
I follow your suggestions, but I need help with the words.
#1- what is the trim, that I can pry out?
#2- where is the trim?
#3- what is the flashing, and where is it?

Thanks again.

Chris

Answer
The window sill has two pieces on the right and left of the window casing that is nailed onto the frame and the top piece of trim is what the flashing rests upon ( flashing is the angled piece of aluminum that is shaped like an L . This flashing is slid under the outside sheathing that rests on top of it and the flashing rests on top of the top piece of molding and the top piece of molding rests on the right and left side outer window trim .  

Home Improvement--General

Brian Michael Flickinger