Home Improvement--General/basement condensation

Question
We are in the process of finishing our basement.  The foundation has been been Drylocked.  We live in northern NH.  The insulation is up, vb on inside.  Had to move some electrical, so had to remove some insualtion and found condensation on concrete.  Freaked us out!! Why is this happening and what can be done?

Answer
It is usually recommended that a plastic vapor barrier is installed against the foundation before the framing and insulation is installed. Moisture wants to move from wet areas to dryer areas. So the moisture in the soil outside is trying to come into your basement which is usually dryer. I know it may be some additional work but I would recommend removing the existing insulation and either installing a spray foam insulation that will act as both a vapor barrier and insulation or just sliding plastic sheeting behind the studs.
If you have a opening between the floor and the foundation wall the new vapor barrier should be tucked into it so that any water running down the back side of the new vapor barrier will drain off into the drain system and not show up on the floor. You will not have to do this if you use the spray foam technique.

Glad to help.

Home Improvement--General

Jay Cipriani