Home Improvement--General/Covering Brick

QUESTION: I would like to cover a brick wall with wood flooring.  Can you give me a few helpful hints?  Thank you in advance for you time.

ANSWER: Carolyn,
You are going to have to give me more information than this!

QUESTION: My garage was enclosed and the front wall is brick with a fireplace.  The brick is from the 70's so it is outdated.  I want to cover it with wood and have seen DIY shows where they used flooring on the wall.  So I was wondering if I could use wood flooring on brick and if so how I would attach it.  I have installed new fireplace doors and want to build a mantle so the area around the fireplace would not be covered with the wood. Thanks for your response.  Carolyn

Hi Carolyn,
OK, now that makes more sense.  How high will you want to put the wood flooring on the wall (in feet)?  Is the floor level the entire length of the wall?  How close to the fireplace are you planning on putting the wood flooring?
Let me know the answers to these and I'll see what I can come up with.
General Contractor
Environmental Engineer

Home Improvement--General

Steve Young

I will answer questions dealing with home improvement. My specific areas of expertise are flooring (except carpeting), all types of carpentry, water treatment, and minor electrical. I have also built several treehouses and am currently considering expanding my business to concentrate on children's play areas. I love working with all kinds of wood. My favorite types of home repair/remodeling are water treatment, hardwood flooring, cabinetry, bathroom remodeling, and kitchen remodeling. I also have knowledge in residential water treatment, including filters, softeners, reverse osmosis systems and various other types of treatment systems.

I have been working in various forms of construction both personally and professionally for the past 20 years. I am currently the Owner/Contractor of a home repair/remodeling company.

I have a BS in Environmental Engineering and have done Masters work in Management Development. I have also attended various community college and fine arts classes in the Piedmont Triad area and EPA water quality certification classes.