Home Improvement--General/notching quarter round

Steve, I have a pretty good selection of tools but am not quite sure how to approach this issue to get the best result.
I have 3/4" quarter round that acts as baseboard moulding for my laminate floor. I am dealing with a 11" section. It has been caulked at the top edge where it meets wood paneling and has a special 2 step paint top coat to match the wood wall so I do not want to remove it which normally would be the best option.
I need to make a square cut in 2 locations and remove a 5' section of the moulding to insert a baseboard heater. I have a dremel tool but the small cutting wheel means that I will have to cut it at an angle because the tool body will hit the wall. Can't use my backsaw because the moulding is too small. Not sure about utility knife. Anyway I will only get one shot and thought it would be good to have an experts opinion before making the cuts.
Thanks, Jack

Hi Jack,
If you want an excuse to buy a new toy get this saw:

It is a great saw for all kinds of applications.  If not, use a utility knife - you may have to go through a couple of blades.  Finish it off with a really sharp chisel with the top of the chisel facing the part of the molding you are removing.  Good luck!
General Contractor
Environmental Engineer

Home Improvement--General

Steve Young

I will answer questions dealing with home improvement. My specific areas of expertise are flooring (except carpeting), all types of carpentry, water treatment, and minor electrical. I have also built several treehouses and am currently considering expanding my business to concentrate on children's play areas. I love working with all kinds of wood. My favorite types of home repair/remodeling are water treatment, hardwood flooring, cabinetry, bathroom remodeling, and kitchen remodeling. I also have knowledge in residential water treatment, including filters, softeners, reverse osmosis systems and various other types of treatment systems.

I have been working in various forms of construction both personally and professionally for the past 20 years. I am currently the Owner/Contractor of a home repair/remodeling company.

I have a BS in Environmental Engineering and have done Masters work in Management Development. I have also attended various community college and fine arts classes in the Piedmont Triad area and EPA water quality certification classes.